Published: 20 February 2026. The English Chronicle Desk. The English Chronicle Online.
A Labour minister emails controversy has erupted after fresh disclosures linked a senior figure to claims about journalists and Russian propaganda. The allegations centre on Josh Simons and messages sent to British intelligence officials in early 2024.
The newly revealed correspondence shows Simons personally named reporters to security officials. He allegedly suggested their reporting formed part of a coordinated pro-Kremlin campaign. The Labour minister emails were addressed to the National Cyber Security Centre, a branch of GCHQ.
Simons, now a Cabinet Office minister, denies the claims are accurate. A spokesperson said the allegations are untrue and misrepresent his intentions. However, the messages reportedly detail his role in passing information about several journalists.
The controversy stems from a 2023 investigation into Labour Together, a thinktank closely aligned with senior party figures. At the time, Labour Together had failed to declare significant political donations. The undeclared sum, amounting to £730,000, later led to action by the Electoral Commission.
The regulator fined the organisation more than £14,000 for breaching electoral law. That ruling placed renewed scrutiny on Labour Together’s internal governance. It also intensified media interest in how the donations were handled.
The Sunday Times investigation was led by Gabriel Pogrund and Harry Yorke. Their reporting drew on documents linked to the Electoral Commission case. Freelance reporter Paul Holden was also credited for providing material.
After publication, Simons commissioned a 58-page dossier from APCO Worldwide. The contract reportedly cost £36,000 and sought to examine the story’s origins. According to disclosed details, the brief aimed to build narratives countering future criticism.
The Labour minister emails show Simons later contacted the cyber security authorities directly. He suggested the article could have originated from a hostile hack. The messages speculated about links to Russian disinformation networks.
Intelligence officials had already attributed the Electoral Commission cyber attack to China. Despite that assessment, Simons’ correspondence emphasised potential Russian involvement. He argued that sensitive information may have been leaked deliberately.
In one message, he wrote that the dissemination of information posed risks to democracy. He urged officials to consider national security implications before a general election. The tone, according to sources familiar with the exchange, was insistent.
Critics argue the Labour minister emails crossed a troubling line. They say elected figures should not involve intelligence services in disputes with journalists. Some of those named described the episode as intimidating and distressing.
Holden has spoken publicly about the experience. He said discovering private details had been gathered felt deeply invasive. He described the allegations linking him to pro-Kremlin propaganda as baseless.
The emails reportedly mentioned his partner, Jessica Murray, and her father. Her father, Andrew Murray, previously advised Jeremy Corbyn during his leadership. The correspondence allegedly suggested Andrew Murray was suspected of links to Russian intelligence.
Andrew Murray has categorically denied that allegation. He described it as a smear with no factual basis. He said such claims divert attention from legitimate questions about political donations.
The private nature of Holden’s living arrangements added to the alarm. He said he had taken precautions to protect his home address. Learning that investigators had identified those details left him unsettled.
APCO Worldwide has been approached for comment regarding its methodology. Sources suggest a fraud investigation tool was used to gather residential data. The firm has not publicly addressed those claims in detail.
Within government, the fallout has widened. Simons is under review by the Cabinet Office propriety and ethics team. The inquiry is examining his decision to commission and circulate the dossier.
The Labour minister emails have become central to that review. Questions remain over whether all correspondence was disclosed to investigators. His spokesperson declined to clarify the scope of material shared.
Simons has said he was surprised and distressed by aspects of the report. He maintains that unnecessary personal information was removed before submission. Yet the emails appear to reference the same journalists by name.
The National Cyber Security Centre ultimately declined to investigate further. Officials advised that leaked information can emerge through many channels. They did not pursue the theory of a Russian operation.
Observers say the case highlights tension between politics and security institutions. Intelligence agencies are expected to remain independent from party disputes. The perception of political pressure can erode public trust.
Within Labour circles, reactions have been mixed. Some figures privately express concern about reputational damage. Others argue the matter is being politicised ahead of future elections.
The involvement of Keir Starmer and adviser Morgan McSweeney was mentioned in the emails’ broader context. The theory suggested an attempt to undermine senior leadership. No evidence has emerged supporting claims of coordinated foreign interference.
Media freedom advocates have voiced unease. They warn that linking reporters to hostile states without proof risks chilling investigative journalism. The UK has long championed a free and robust press.
Legal experts note that unfounded allegations can carry serious consequences. Suggesting ties to foreign intelligence services is not a trivial matter. It can harm careers and personal safety.
The Labour minister emails also raise ethical questions about thinktank operations. Labour Together was closely associated with internal party strategy. Its failure to declare donations already prompted regulatory sanctions.
For some analysts, the key issue is proportionality. Was it appropriate to escalate a media dispute to cyber security authorities? That question now frames much of the debate.
Simons insists he acted out of concern for potential hacking. Supporters say public bodies should report suspected cyber breaches promptly. Critics counter that the evidence presented was speculative.
Parliamentary standards experts say transparency will be vital. Clear disclosure of communications could help restore confidence. The Cabinet Office review is expected to report in due course.
Meanwhile, those named in the correspondence continue to reject the claims. They maintain their reporting was based on whistleblower material. No outlet published the more serious allegations circulated privately.
The Labour minister emails controversy has therefore evolved beyond a single dossier. It now touches on government accountability, press freedom and national security boundaries. For many observers, the episode serves as a cautionary tale about conflating political defence with intelligence threats.
As Britain approaches another election cycle, scrutiny of political conduct is intensifying. Voters expect integrity from ministers and institutions alike. The final conclusions of the ethics review may determine whether this dispute fades or deepens.
What remains clear is that trust, once shaken, can prove difficult to rebuild. The coming weeks will test how firmly public standards are upheld.




























































































