Published: 08 September ‘2025. The English Chronicle Online
A fugitive father who vanished into the New Zealand wilderness with his three young children nearly four years ago has been killed in a shootout with police, ending a long-standing nationwide search that has captivated the country.
Tom Phillips, 48, had been evading capture since December 2021 after fleeing into remote Waikato following a custody dispute with his former partner. He was reported to have taken his children Ember, 9, Maverick, 10, and Jayda, 12, and lived off the grid in dense bushland, with only intermittent sightings over the years.
Phillips was shot dead early on Monday during a police operation responding to reports of a ram-raid burglary at a farm supply store in the small town of Piopio, 135 miles south of Auckland on New Zealand’s North Island. The confrontation left one police officer critically injured. Prime Minister Christopher Luxon described the day as “sombre” and paid tribute to the officer, emphasizing the dangers faced by law enforcement.
“This morning’s events are not how anyone would have wanted this to end, and I know that there will be many questions,” Mr Luxon said, acknowledging the nation’s concern for the children’s safety.
Deputy Commissioner Jill Rogers explained that police had acted on intelligence linking Phillips to the area. Officers deployed spike strips to intercept a quad bike he and an accomplice were believed to be riding. The vehicle hit the spikes, swerved off the road, and Phillips allegedly opened fire at close range, striking a police officer in the head. He was then shot by law enforcement. Despite receiving first aid, Phillips died at the scene, while the injured officer was rushed to hospital for emergency surgery.
Authorities confirmed that finding Phillips’ other children was their “number one priority.” One child was located at the scene and is receiving immediate support, but police declined to comment further on the children’s locations.
The mother of the children, identified as Cat by national broadcaster RNZ, expressed relief that the “long and difficult journey” had come to an end, while also mourning the tragic circumstances of the day. “They [the children] have been dearly missed every day for nearly four years, and we are looking forward to welcoming them home with love and care,” she said.
Local authorities, including John Robertson, mayor of Waitomo District, described the incident as “shocking” and “tragic,” emphasizing concern for the welfare of the children.
Phillips’ disappearance, known as the “Marokopa mystery,” had drawn significant attention since 2021, particularly in the Waikato region and Marokopa town, where he was believed to have lived off-grid. Sporadic sightings included a CCTV capture last month showing a man and child fleeing a supermarket on a quad bike, and footage in October 2024 showing Phillips and the children in camouflage gear, tramping single file through mountainous terrain.
Police had long suspected Phillips of serious criminal activity and believed he was aided by others supplying food and shelter. Sporadic reports of the children’s wellbeing led authorities to exercise caution, avoiding a full-scale search to prevent endangering them.
Family members, including Phillips’ mother Julia and sister Rozzi, have publicly mourned his death. Julia Phillips expressed heartache over the years spent apart from her grandchildren and her son, urging him to come home before the tragedy unfolded.
The incident leaves New Zealand reflecting on the dangers of rural isolation, the challenges of tracking fugitives, and the enduring need to protect the welfare of children caught in complex family and legal disputes.



























































































