Tuesday, August 18, 2026
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Team
  • Contact
The English Chronicle
Advertisement
  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Science & Technology
  • UK News
  • World News
  • Health
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Science & Technology
  • UK News
  • World News
  • Health
No Result
View All Result
The English Chronicle
No Result
View All Result

US Strikes on Iran Set for Most Intense Day Yet

5 months ago
in Latest, Politics, World News
US strikes on Iran
0
SHARES
5
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Published: 11 March 2026. The English Chronicle Desk. The English Chronicle Online.

Tensions across the Middle East rose sharply as US strikes on Iran entered a dramatic phase. Officials in Washington warned that the coming hours could mark the most intense day yet in the campaign. The warning signals an escalation in the ongoing confrontation between the United States and Iran.

US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth delivered the stark message during a Pentagon briefing on Tuesday morning. He said the pace and scale of US strikes on Iran would significantly increase. The operation, he explained, aims to weaken Iran’s missile systems and military infrastructure rapidly.

Hegseth appeared alongside Dan Caine, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Both officials outlined the growing scale of military operations across Iranian territory. Their briefing highlighted the increasing intensity of US strikes on Iran during the past ten days.

According to the Pentagon, the campaign has already targeted thousands of military installations and weapons facilities. Caine confirmed that US Central Command has struck more than 5,000 targets since operations began. These targets include missile launch sites, drone factories, command centres, and naval facilities.

He said the strikes have destroyed more than 50 Iranian naval vessels operating across the region. Several manufacturing sites producing autonomous drones were also heavily damaged during the campaign. These operations, he explained, were designed to limit Iran’s ability to launch further attacks.

The general also confirmed the use of powerful bunker-busting weapons during several recent missions. US forces deployed dozens of GPS-guided 2,000-pound penetrating bombs against deeply buried missile launch systems. These weapons are capable of striking fortified underground facilities that conventional bombs cannot reach.

Caine noted that Iranian ballistic missile attacks have gradually declined since the strikes began. However, smaller aerial threats remain active across parts of the region. Allied aircraft and helicopters have been intercepting one-way attack drones launched by Iranian forces.

Military officials say these interceptions involve fighter jets as well as specialised attack helicopters. Their goal is to stop drones before they reach American or allied positions. Defence planners believe these tactics have significantly reduced the impact of Iran’s retaliatory operations.

Hegseth insisted that Iran is increasingly isolated as the conflict continues. He argued that many regional governments have chosen not to support Tehran. According to the Pentagon chief, Iran now stands largely alone in this confrontation.

He also claimed that several groups previously aligned with Tehran have become less active. Hegseth mentioned Hezbollah, the Houthi movement, and Hamas during his remarks.

The defence secretary said these organisations appear weakened, inactive, or reluctant to join the conflict. That shift, he suggested, reflects the growing pressure on Iran’s leadership. Washington believes the weakening of these alliances limits Iran’s strategic options.

Despite the military claims, questions about civilian casualties have intensified internationally. Journalists asked Hegseth about a deadly strike that reportedly killed more than 165 civilians. The attack struck an all-girls school and left many children among the dead.

The school, known as Shajareh Tayyebeh Girls Elementary School, was reportedly hit during the first morning of the campaign. Rescue workers said around 170 girls aged between seven and twelve were attending classes. Many remained inside when the strike occurred.

First responders described scenes of devastation after the explosion struck the school building. Emergency teams searched through rubble while families gathered outside hoping for survivors. Local reports suggested that the strike may have involved two separate explosions.

Some witnesses described the attack as a possible “double-tap” strike. This term refers to repeated strikes on the same location within a short period. Such tactics can make rescue operations extremely dangerous for emergency workers.

When questioned about the tragedy, Hegseth defended the conduct of US forces. He argued that Iranian military units often operate from civilian areas. According to him, missiles and launch equipment are sometimes placed near schools and hospitals.

The defence secretary claimed such tactics attempt to shield military infrastructure behind civilian populations. He described the practice as a deliberate strategy used by “terrorist regimes.” Hegseth insisted American forces do not intentionally target civilians during operations.

He also said the United States has historically taken extensive measures to avoid civilian casualties. However, he acknowledged that investigations into individual strikes can take considerable time. Officials are still reviewing intelligence related to the school attack.

Preliminary assessments by American analysts suggest the United States was likely responsible for the strike. Reports cited by CBS News indicate that outdated intelligence may have contributed to the error.

Investigators believe the site had once been linked to a nearby naval facility. That base belonged to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. The facility was reportedly separated from the school complex several years earlier.

Sources suggest the location stopped operating as a military installation around 2016. If confirmed, this timeline raises serious questions about intelligence accuracy during the operation. Pentagon officials have not yet released a final investigation report.

Another issue raised during the briefing involved the condition of Iran’s leadership. Journalists asked whether Iran’s new supreme leader had been injured during recent strikes. Hegseth declined to confirm or deny those reports.

He instead suggested that Iran’s leadership should reconsider its strategic choices. The defence secretary said it would be wise for Tehran to abandon its nuclear ambitions. He repeated Washington’s demand that Iran must renounce nuclear weapons permanently.

Recent reports indicate that Mojtaba Khamenei has assumed leadership following the death of his father. Ali Khamenei was reportedly killed during the opening strikes of the campaign.

The change in leadership adds another layer of uncertainty to the conflict’s future direction. Analysts believe the new leader may face immediate pressure to respond strongly. However, Iran’s weakened military infrastructure may limit available options.

Despite the escalating conflict, Hegseth insisted the United States will avoid a prolonged war. He stressed that the operation is not intended to resemble past long-term military occupations. His remarks appeared to reference the experience of the Iraq War.

“This is not 2003,” Hegseth told reporters during the press conference. He said American forces have learned lessons from previous military engagements. According to him, the goal is to achieve clear strategic outcomes without endless nation-building.

The defence secretary also emphasised that the campaign focuses on protecting American security. He warned against allowing any country to threaten the United States with nuclear blackmail. Preventing that scenario remains a central objective of the current strategy.

Meanwhile, political signals from Washington appear mixed regarding potential diplomacy. US President Donald Trump recently suggested that negotiations might still be possible.

During an interview with Fox News, Trump said Iran had expressed interest in talks. However, he indicated that any meeting would depend entirely on acceptable conditions.

Just days earlier, Trump took a far tougher stance in a social media post. Writing on Truth Social, he declared that only unconditional surrender would end the conflict.

That message has raised doubts about whether diplomatic channels remain realistic. International observers worry that the escalating military pressure could close opportunities for negotiations.

For now, the world watches closely as US strikes on Iran continue intensifying. The coming days may determine whether this confrontation stabilises or grows into a wider crisis. Many governments are urging restraint while hoping diplomatic solutions eventually return.

Yet the immediate future remains uncertain as military operations expand across the region. Each new strike carries risks for both security and civilian safety. With tensions high and rhetoric escalating, the situation remains one of the most dangerous global flashpoints today.

Check our latest news

Related News:

British Woman in Iran ‘Losing Hope’ Amid Ongoing DetentionBritish Woman in Iran ‘Losing Hope’ Amid Ongoing Detention Trump Rebukes Starmer Over Iran Strike SupportBBC to Apologise Over Edited Trump Speech Amid Backlash Britain deploys RAF specialists to assist Belgium with drone threatsBritain deploys RAF specialists to assist Belgium with drone threats US Justice Department Files Lawsuit Against California Over Partisan Voting MapsUS Justice Department Files Lawsuit Against California Over Partisan Voting Maps Greene Pushes Epstein Files Amid Trump FalloutGreene Pushes Epstein Files Amid Trump Fallout Federal agents launch immigration crackdown in city of CharlotteTrump Deploys DHS to Charlotte in Major Arrest Operation December Run-Off in Chile as Election Produces No WinnerDecember Run-Off in Chile as Election Produces No Winner Canada Passes Carney’s First Budget in Tight Parliamentary VoteCanada Passes Carney’s First Budget in Tight Parliamentary Vote Shadow Fleet at Sea Europe’s Battle Against Illicit Oil ShippingShadow Fleet at Sea: Europe’s Battle Against Illicit Oil Shipping US Military Leaders Visit Kyiv Amid Peace TalksPentagon Officials in Ukraine to Discuss War End Venezuela Threatens Nobel Winner Machado with Fugitive StatusVenezuela Threatens Nobel Winner Machado with Fugitive Status Georgians Defy Government Crackdown After Year of ProtestsGeorgians Defy Government Crackdown After Year of Protests India's sweeping labour law overhaul sparks debateIndia’s Labour Law Overhaul Sparks Fierce Debate EU plans $105bnEU plans $105bn Ukraine aid using frozen Russian assets Global campaign launched to free Palestinian leader BarghoutiGlobal campaign launched to free Palestinian leader Barghouti Trump policiesTrump Policies Boost China’s Global Rise, Survey Finds Iran unrestIran unrest slows under brutal crackdown and global tensions Pentagon Signals Reduced Role in Deterring North KoreaPentagon Signals Reduced Role in Deterring North Korea Thousands Protest ICE Operations in Nationwide US Day of ActionThousands Protest ICE Operations in Nationwide US Day of Action Epstein Files Reveal Trump Officials’ Emails with FinancierEpstein Files Reveal Trump Officials’ Emails with Financier Russian attacks Ukraine energy StarmerStarmer Condemns ‘Depraved’ Russian Strikes on Ukraine Herzog visitHerzog visit sparks protests across Australian cities corruption indexUK and US Drop in Global Corruption Index Rankings Herzog protestSydney Protest Escalates and Elderly Woman Suffers Severe Injury Tarique Rahman poised to lead Bangladesh after BNP victoryTarique Rahman’s Rise Toward Bangladesh’s Top Job Sussan Ley exit revives gender debate in politicsGlass Cliff Debate After Ley’s Ouster Canberra poster seizureCanberra Poster Seizure Sparks Free Speech Row Evo MoralesEvo Morales Returns After Mysterious Absence Pauline Hanson commentsAFP Reviews Pauline Hanson Comments Duterte ICC hearingDuterte ICC Hearing Begins Amid Defiance Trump tariffsTrump Tariffs Threat Spark UK and EU Alarm RemigrationThe Dangerous Rise of Remigration Across Modern Europe State of the UnionTrump’s Marathon Speech Fails to Mask a Growing National Disconnect Jacinda ArdernJacinda Ardern Moves To Australia Following Her US Fellowships Passport servicesUS to offer passport services in West Bank settlements Jacinda Ardern moveJacinda Ardern Move Sparks Kiwi Reflection health fundingHealth Funding Row Rocks US‑Africa Relations election reviewNick Greiner Warns Over Election Review Fallout UK-EU resetNew UK-EU Reset Faces Criticism from Parliament terrorism chargesCuba charges six exiles for terrorism after speedboat raid Iran defianceIran Defiance Grows Amid US-Israel War Pressure Iran nuclear stockpileIran Nuclear Stockpile Sparks US Special Forces Debate Default ThumbnailQueensland Protest Ban Sparks First Arrests ethnic unity lawChina’s Ethnic Unity Law Set to Reshape Minority Schools Moscow internet blackoutsMoscow Internet Blackouts Raise Censorship Fears FCC broadcast licensesRepublicans Rebuke FCC Threat Over Iran War Coverage oil prices surgeOil Prices Surge as IEA Weighs Emergency Release Trump Nato threatsTrump Nato threats expose Iran strategy vacuum Bomb BritainUK Minister Denies Iran Missile Threat to Britain Danish electionDanish Election Deadlock Shakes Frederiksen’s Grip Trump China visitTrump to Visit China in May After Iran War Delay Pope Rebukes Leaders for War as Middle East Tensions RisePope Rebukes Leaders for War as Middle East Tensions Rise Trump to Deploy "God Squad" Over Gulf Wildlife ProtectionsTrump to Deploy “God Squad” Over Gulf Wildlife Protections Army Probes Apache Flyover at Kid Rock’s Nashville EstateArmy Probes Apache Flyover at Kid Rock’s Nashville Estate Italian Town Buys Mussolini Villa to Keep Away Fascist FansItalian Town Buys Mussolini Villa to Keep Away Fascist Fans Report Says Pezzullo Acted ‘Recklessly’ in DealingsReport Says Pezzullo Acted ‘Recklessly’ in Dealings Trump Employs Nixon’s Madman Theory Amid Iran CrisisTrump Employs Nixon’s Madman Theory Amid Iran Crisis Trump Voices Frustration Over Nato Role in Iran ConflictTrump Voices Frustration Over Nato Role in Iran Conflict Hungary election: Orbán faces biggest test amid scandalHungary election: Orbán faces biggest test amid scandal Suspected Plot Targets Pipeline Before Hungary VoteSuspected Plot Targets Pipeline Before Hungary Vote Trump Slams UK Ties and Threatens To Rewrite Trade DealTrump Slams UK Ties and Threatens To Rewrite Trade Deal Southeast Asia Turns to Russia Amid Energy CrisisSoutheast Asia Turns to Russia Amid Energy Crisis Capitalism ‘Suicidal’, Warns Petro at Climate SummitCapitalism ‘Suicidal’, Warns Petro at Climate Summit Judge halts deportation of Yemeni refugees in USJudge halts deportation of Yemeni refugees in US Trump approval plunges amid Iran war fearsTrump approval plunges amid Iran war fears Ohio’s Battle for Trust: Democrats Vying to Flip the Buckeye StateOhio’s Battle for Trust: Democrats Vying to Flip the Buckeye State US ‘Narco Boat’ Strikes Draw Global OutcryUS ‘Narco Boat’ Strikes Draw Global Outcry Afghan Families Left in Limbo Face Risk of DeportationAfghan Families Left in Limbo Face Risk of Deportation Tensions Emerge in Netanyahu-Trump AllianceTensions Emerge in Netanyahu-Trump Alliance US Awaits Iran Reply on New Ceasefire ProposalUS Awaits Iran Reply on New Ceasefire Proposal Hormuz Talks Near Critical StageHormuz Talks Near Critical Stage Discontent grows around Putin amid war strainDiscontent grows around Putin amid war strain Starmer Leadership Under Pressure After Setbacks House Curbs Trump’s War Powers in Rare RebellionHouse Curbs Trump’s War Powers in Rare Rebellion Germany Summons Chinese Envoy Over Russian Troop TrainingGermany Summons Chinese Envoy Over Russian Troop Training New South Wales Premier Chris Minns Signals Tough Road Ahead for LaborNew South Wales Premier Chris Minns Signals Tough Road Ahead for Labor Le Pen to Run for President Despite Embezzlement ConvictionLe Pen to Run for President Despite Embezzlement Conviction Ukraine Creates Long-Range Strike CommandUkraine Creates Long-Range Strike Command Le Pen's Popularity Holds Despite ConvictionLe Pen’s Popularity Holds Despite Conviction Houthis Strike Saudi Arabia as Middle East Tensions RiseHouthis Strike Saudi Arabia as Middle East Tensions Rise

STAY CONNECTED

  • 6k Fans
  • 450 Followers
  • 600 Subscribers

MOST POPULAR

GCAP fighter jet

GCAP Fighter Jet: Rolls-Royce Open to Germany

March 2, 2026
City & Guilds Sale Sparks Fees and Pay Uproar

City & Guilds Sale Sparks Fees and Pay Uproar

April 19, 2026
Hinton bonus

South East Water chief faces £400,000 bonus amid outages

January 16, 2026
Domestic Abuse Screening Tool Fails to Identify High-Risk Victims, Minister Admits

Domestic Abuse Screening Tool Fails to Identify High-Risk Victims, Minister Admits

August 26, 2025
Ofcom Launches Probe into Pornography Websites Over Compliance with New Age Verification Laws

Ofcom Launches Probe into Pornography Websites Over Compliance with New Age Verification Laws

July 31, 2025
Burnham unveils £65m drought aid for farmers

Burnham unveils £65m drought aid for farmers

3 days ago
Load More

About Us

The English Chronicle

The English Chronicle is your trusted source for accurate, timely, and unbiased news. Based in the heart of the digital age, our mission is to deliver well-researched journalism that informs, engages, and empowers readers across the globe.

Address:-
UK Address: Harbour House, Cold Harbour Lane, Rainham, London Borough of Havering, United Kingdom. RM13 9YB

Browse by Category

  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Ai and Innovation
  • Animals
  • Arts And Culture
  • Asia Pacific
  • Australia News
  • Business & Economy
  • Canada News
  • Child Health
  • Child Safety
  • Climate Change
  • Cricket
  • Crime
  • Defence And Military
  • Economics
  • Education
  • Energy
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Europe
  • Fashion
  • Finance
  • Food
  • Football
  • Health
  • History
  • Human Rights
  • Infrastructure
  • innovation
  • International
  • Investigative Stories
  • Latest
  • Law
  • Life & Society
  • Market
  • Media
  • Medical Innovation
  • Middle East
  • Music
  • Natural Disaster
  • Politics
  • Premier League
  • Public Safety
  • Real Estate and Property
  • Religion
  • Retail
  • Retail
  • Royal Family
  • Science & Technology
  • Scotland and Highlands
  • Sports
  • Tech News
  • Tourism and Economy
  • Transport
  • Travel
  • UEFA
  • UK News
  • US News
  • Violence
  • War and Conflict
  • Weather
  • Wild Life
  • World News
Gen Z turns to BirdTok for a gentler digital escape

Gen Z turns to BirdTok for a gentler digital escape

3 days ago
Burnham unveils £65m drought aid for farmers

Burnham unveils £65m drought aid for farmers

3 days ago
Wildfires rage across Europe as hundreds arrested in France

Wildfires rage across Europe as hundreds arrested in France

3 days ago
Trump dismisses concerns over 250-day carrier deployment

Trump dismisses concerns over 250-day carrier deployment

3 days ago
  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Team
  • Contact

© 2025 The English Chronicle.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Science & Technology

© 2025 The English Chronicle.